Some of my friends and I are reading The Pursuit of Holiness this summer. We meet at Alli's pool on Fridays. But this is a life changing revelation I read from Chapter 2...
"Many Christians have what we might call a "cultural holiness." They adapt to the character and behavior pattern of Christians around them. As the Christian culture around them is more or less holy, so these Christians are more or less holy. God has not called us to be like those around us. He has called us to be like himself."
That is something I struggle with all the time! Another revelation...
"(James) is simply telling us that a "faith" that does not result in works - in a holy life, in other words - is not a living faith but a dead one, no better than that which the demons possess."
This was a huge eye opener for me a few years ago. The demons in hell even know the truth about Jesus. I was the same as them - knowing the truth but not changing my actions or pursuing a relationship with Christ.
"Everyone, then, who professes to be a Christian should ask himself, "Is there evidence of practical holiness in my life? Do I desire and strive for holiness? Do I grieve over my lack of it and earnestly seek the help of God to be holy? It is not those who profess to know Christ who will enter heaven, but those whose lives are holy."
Jesus said, "Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord," will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."
"Many will say to me on that day, "Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons, and perform many miracles?" Then I will tell them plainly, "I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!" (Matthew 7:21-23)
Are you pursuing holiness?
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment